SHABBY CHIC NURSERY INSPIRATION



Shabby Chic - When I hear the word what comes to mind is pastel pinks and distressed, antique, aged furniture pieces and calm, feminine vibe. I believe it is indeed very close to what it means to be because the official definition by google and wiki give is this, here I quote - 


"Shabby chic (pronounced: "sheek") is a form of interior design where furniture and furnishings are either chosen for their appearance of age and signs of wear and tear or where new items are distressed to achieve the appearance of an antique. At the same time, a soft, opulent, yet cottage-style decor, often with an affected feel is emphasized to differentiate it from genuine period decor "

I love the feminine vibes of the style, but sometimes disagree with everything pastel though. I love colors and I stress the importance of having some splashes of color when ever I get into color discussion. I believe colors brings positivity and happiness like no other element in interior design. Do you agree ?

A few days ago, Chairish approached me asking if I would love to participate in a room, mood board challenge with "shabby chic" theme, I decided to join in and bring a colorful twist to otherwise muted shabby chic style. So here is my twist with a little bit color added to the design.


The Chairish challenge was to choose individual pieces from a given set of furniture pieces, though I have taken the liberty to browse through their site and choose what I liked best. I have tried to mix period furniture with modern designs to have a balance. Since most of us live in more recent constructions I think mixing some modern, contemporary pieces would help us stay true to the style of our homes. Now, on to individual pieces chosen:


The Crib and the dresser are the first two pieces I chose here. I love the timeless look of these and believe they are perfect for a little princess. The crib is restoration Hardware and dresser is sold by the time I am typing this (bummer!!). The details are so pretty there. But so is most of the shabby chic chests. 

The next piece I chose was the wall paper by Layla Grace, The rest of the design actually revolves around it. I could chose more timeless, neutral pieces to accessorize because the wallpaper takes centre stage and makes all the impact needed there.

The blue chest is a favourite for all its handmade details and paint. It goes well with the wall, stay true to our theme and adds bonus storage.

Next major piece is the chair, the fabricis prettyand it is vintage & restored. Forgive me if it is wrong for the place, a girl can dream right!

The wall hanging is dreamy but modern design. It adds color and softness to the space and a little girl needs a dream catcher. It is a must.

The rug is not from Chairish, but from One Kings Lane. I wanted a more modern one and functional too - because a little girl's space is going to see a lot of abuse. This overdyed one can stand it I believe. What I don't like is the price. But as I said earlier, I can dream and I am sure to find a less pricey edition if i keep my eyes open.

The mirror is all princessy and it is another of true shabby chic piece. All the rest of accessories are from Chairish itself. Do check out to see inspiring decor products the top designers are sourcing out these days. You can sell too in case you have an interesting piece you are ready to part with.

So what do you think? Is shabby chic your style? What are the pieces you loved from the board?


Do you like what you see? If yes,  Please subscribe (on the side bar, it is free) and get regular updates or follow us on FACEBOOK or PINTEREST

No comments